So, why “Anger Management”? Well, with modern pasteurization, bacteria and enzymes are destroyed in the milk before you even begin, so there is no need to scald and then “temper” the eggs. Now, if you use raw milk or something, definitely scald your milk and temper your eggs, but if you’re a grocery store kind of girl like I am, there is no need.
Shanna’s Anger Management Egg Custard
- 1 unbaked pie crust
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg white
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Mix together all ingredients (except nutmeg and, obviously, the pie crust), beating on medium for 1 minute until well-combined. Pour into unbaked pie shell and sprinkle with nutmeg (if desired).
- Bake 30-40 minutes or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely and refrigerate.