In September of last year, we enrolled Seamus in the pre-school program here on base. It was 3 days a week, for 3 hours, and was delightfully convenient in location (literally right behind my house). The experience was, well, horrible. We ended up puling Seamus out after only a few sessions. (If you'd like to read about what happened, start at the bottom and work your way up here.) In a nutshell, I was told that my child was too easygoing and laid-back. What a horrible thing to be! (sarcasm)

After we pulled him out, I began homeschooling him with some curriculum I picked up at a homeschooling store here along with our Hooked on Phonics program that he got for Christmas. We learned counting, letters, writing, and some basic reading. It all went great, but I came to realize that I do not possess the patience to do this for 13 years, no matter how much I wish I did.

So, today, my gorgeous boy started pre-kindergarten, which is a half-day program at the local school. They even get to ride the bus to and from. His teacher, Miss Summers, is very nice and seems quite patient. This morning, Mike and I took him to school and dropped him off (and he could have cared less if we were there or not), then let the bus bring him home. I didn't really worry until I knew it was time for him to be boarding the bus. I worried he wouldn't get on for whatever reason, even though they explained the bus procedures to me (they escort the kids to the bus and their backpacks have a tag with their bus number). He made it home fine, though, and gushed all about his day. They played, they drew, they played some more, they sang, he picked the purple spot on the rug because it "is mommy's favorite color" (♥), and he "made a lot of girlfriends and they all think (he's) cute". I'm so glad this is such a good experience. I feel better about it and he does, too.

Ready to leave (note to self: clean the storm door, Shanna)

Walking into school with Daddy.

So excited!

Listening to his teacher, Miss Summers (that's the TA, Miss Brown, in the background).

Daddy showing masses of concern whilst we wait for the bus at the bus stop. And by masses of concern, I mean for his 3G network coverage and WoW Podcast Download.

Showing the bus driver his tag.

Getting off the bus.

All in all, great day. He can't wait to go back on Monday. I'm so happy that he enjoys school, is excited about it. I'm so proud of him…but I'm torn between being so proud and being so sad. I can't believe he is so grown up. He didn't cry when we left, which shows that he is a secure child, but man, oh, man…wasn't he just born last week?